The member artists of Shift Gallery recognize that art is a creative pursuit limited only by one’s imagination. We seek to attract a diverse group of artists from different backgrounds. As a collective, we are dedicated to showcasing the art of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) artists in the Seattle area. To that end, we offer a Diversity Grant for a promising Pacific Northwest BIPOC artist who will have the opportunity to exhibit their artwork in the Shift Gallery window for one month during the 2023 calendar year. The grant is for $500 and is to be used by the BIPOC artist for advancing their art practice through the window display. The artist may either create a new project, advance an existing project, or feature a recently completed project finished within the last 12 months. In addition, the artist may opt to host an artist talk on the project for a Saturday during the month that their artwork is on exhibit in the Shift Gallery window. And further, the successful applicant will have the opportunity for mentorship with a member artist.
The dimensions of the Shift Gallery window space where you would display your artwork are approximately 85″ (H) x 101″ (W) x 43″ (D).
To apply for the grant, please provide the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2022, and please indicate Diversity Grant Application in the subject line. The application information required is below:
1) Introductory Letter:
File name: Last Name__First Name__
- Address, email, phone, website, Instagram handle
- BIPOC category of which you are a member
- List of three possible months during the 2023 calendar that you would like to exhibit in the Shift Gallery window (from which we will select one month)
2) Your Art Bio/Resume & Essay
File name: Last Name__First Name__ Bio__Resume__
- An essay (approximately 250 words) on what inspires you to create art and how your identity impacts your artmaking
- Brief description of how you would use the Shift Gallery window
- Bio and/or Resume, list of exhibitions and opportunities you have participated in
3) Art Images
File name: Last Name__ First Name__Title __Medium__ Dimensions__Year__
- Sample of five (5) images of your art that represent your best work
- Image list detailing: Title, Medium, Dimensions, Year
Application Deadline: September 1, 2022. Application decisions will be made in the Fall of 2022. Any questions should be directed to email@example.com and please put Diversity Grant Questions in the subject line.
Thank you for taking the time to apply!