2019 CALL FOR MEMBERS
Application deadline: May 15, 2018
The fulcrum for Shift artists is the balance between consistent quality, experimentation and change. We value diverse work that is rigorous yet approachable, and each month reflects a new permutation—a shift.
Shift is looking for new members for 2019. We are seeking innovative, dynamic, active artists/curators who can contribute to maintaining Shift as a vibrant and relevant Seattle art space. At Shift, each member has various responsibilities within a democratic, non-hierarchical structure. New members are encouraged to provide new ideas, energy, and a commitment to growing and developing the space. Artists/curators with additional skills in the following are desired: art handling, writing, design, curatorial experience, web design and maintenance, grant writing, networking, and community outreach. If you have any of these skills, or other related skills that you think may be valuable, please include support material in your application.
Shift is located in Seattle’s art district in Pioneer Square in the Tashiro-Kaplan arts complex at 312 S. Washington. Shift was established as an artist run space, with the primary goal of supporting emergent practicing Northwest area artists. At Shift, artists can make decisions about how their work is shown and promoted. Shift has created an atmosphere that is welcoming to the public where people can go to see art and meet the artists who create it.
THE BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- The opportunity to show your own work and/or curate an exhibition during a one-month period each year. Full-Share Members have the entire gallery for their show and Half-share Members split the exhibit space with another Half-share Member. At Shift you have the freedom to stage an installation, show challenging or controversial work, stage a performance, or create other collaborative events.
- Participate in Shift Gallery’s annual group exhibit
- Participate in other group exhibition opportunities and sales events
- Be involved in a community of artists who are interested in supporting each other and bringing new and engaging art to the community.
- Sales of art will be transacted directly by the artist. No commissions are collected by Shift.
New members agree to a one-year contract commitment. If you are not able to commit for a year, please do not apply. For 2019 we expect Full-share member annual dues to be approximately $2,050; Half-share member annual dues will be approximately $1,140. The exact amount will be determined later this year (2018). Dues cover the rent and other operating expenses equitably among all members. Shift has no employees – all money goes into rent, organizational and material costs to run the gallery. All members take on a defined responsibility for an aspect of gallery operation. Members are responsible for paying dues and carrying out their gallery job responsibility for the entire calendar year for which they join Shift, even if they elect to drop their membership before the year is out. All members are responsible for their own taxes and accounting. Members may incur other expenses if providing beverages or food for openings, as well as covering the cost of publicity, exhibition cards, etc. Each member covers sitting Fridays and Saturdays for their own show month.
New members must be prepared to show their work as early as January, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit applications by email only and include the following:
- Ten jpg images of work at 72 dpi. Images must not exceed 900 pixels in any dimension.
- Corresponding inventory list: number, title, medium and date.
- Current resume.
- Brief artist statement.
- A short description of your additional skills as pertains to Shift Gallery.
- Contact information and website address.
- A brief statement about why you would like to join Shift.
- Curators are welcome to submit ideas for solo/group exhibitions. Please send the above materials, and in the statement describe concepts and include support materials from previously curated exhibitions.
Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Shift New Member Application” on the subject line. Put all files into one zip file before attaching if possible.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 15, 2018
For more information contact: email@example.com